Welcome to the Unusual Plants Community

Join Today!

Sago palm fronds turning color and bark falling off or something please help

Discussion in 'Cycads' started by Jreidsma, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Jreidsma

Jreidsma Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi
    I got this sago palm at kmart when it went out of buisness 3+months ago and it was in poor condition then. I kept care of it and it started looking better but now its leaves are slowly drooping and they are I think dieing. The bark is also missing in some places where there use to be bark. I repotted it into cactus soil before winter started. I water it about once every 10-14 days I guess usualy around a week or more its watered the same time I water my aloes. Here are some pictures of it but my cameras being alittle.... not nice and isnt focusing on the plant very well but their better than nothing.

Attached Files:

2. John S

John S Administrator Staff Member

My Name:
    John
    Zone:
    7b (5 to 10F)
    It may be too far gone to save. My guess is that it is root rot but you'll have to check to know.
  3. Jreidsma

I will check as soon as posible. Do you know about how often I should water it? How would I be able to see the root rot? I know that the roots should not look right but anything to keep a eye out for?
  4. Jreidsma

.... :(

I checked on the roots acouple minutes ago and what I saw didnt look to good. I dont really know what it roots should look like but they looked kinda swiveled up and kinda a greenish color I think. The loose roots just kinda hung there and didnt look to good either. I posted some pictures of it . Is there anything I could do to help it?
    thanks

Attached Files:

5. John S

My Name:
    John
    Zone:
    7b (5 to 10F)
    While it is pretty much beyond saving at this point, the only thing you can do at this point is to cut all of the root off, treat the plant with systemic fungicide, discard all of the soil, sterilize the pot, and use a new planting medium.

Store bought potting medium is junk. You'll have to mix your own medium for good results. A medium high with perlite, high quality pine bark, sand... is required.
  6. Jreidsma

O ok. I will try to do what you said. What about this coconut fiber stuff that is used for plants sometimes and mixing sand or something in it, I use it for my aloe veras? If I cut of the roots wouldnt that kill it though? Becuase I have always heard that if you mess with the roots of this plant that it might die of shock. I guess it would die from root rot anyways so I will try what you said.
    Thanks for the help
  7. thanrose

thanrose Marchantiophyta

I keep thinking of Bones in the old Star Trek, saying, "He's dead, Jim!" Or the early years of SNL with Chevy Chase doing the news, saying, "And in world news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!"

Sorry, but this one is gone.

That being said, I have had severely challenged or death impaired cycads rise zombie like from the sand here.

Let me tell you how we transplant them. Ya cut off all the fronds, yeah, all of them. You dig it up, probably breaking off roots right and left, then you plant it with most of the caudex above the soil surface. Then you wait up to two years for new growth. Usually within six months if it's going to happen, but cycads are slow.

If you can pick off the scales from the caudex, or if it smells like rot, or the caudex caves in, or the fronds can be pulled directly out with little resistance, it's dead.

I realize you probably just watered it before taking those pictures, but looking at the potting soil clinging to the forlorn remains, I'd venture you watered too much in a water retaining medium.

Once you trim off the rotting roots and remove the mucky potting soil, see if there is any firmness in any root and in the caudex. I had a coontie rebound from a caudex that was half destroyed by rot. IF you have a firm caudex, you might want to dust with an antifungal, or perhaps with cinnamon, put it in well drained fresh medium, and water very lightly, then leave it alone until you are sure it's dry again.
  8. Jreidsma

Thanks. I am not going to give up on reviving this plant until there isnt any hope at all. I have to wait until tomaro to redo it because I have to get sand for it and my mom wont let me go there until tomaro:(. It should live until then my mom claims it isnt even worth trying to bring it back but I just keep telling her that it might grow back and I think she realized it might. I will cut off the infected roots and the fronds I will also check on the parts of it again but it wasnt soft infact the caudex is still nice and healthy fealing other than the bark like things falling off. I feel bad about it getting like this. But when I bought it it didnt look too good then and it started looking better then got like this.... Infact I bought it just to try to bring it back and I have wanted one of these for along time. Our store here in MI that sells rooting hormouns, and anti fungal powder arent selling it yet (probably because its still winter:(.) so I can try the cinnimon thing. I am also going to see if the petstore has any pine tree bark or anything for the soil. O ya it has a fuzzy looking thing coming out of it and the people at the UBC forums said that it would grow a frond and its still growing along with one more so should I leave them there? I guess that means it isnt quit dead yet.
  9. thanrose

thanrose Marchantiophyta

That fuzzy thing is at the very top? It should look sort of greenish even if it is tiny, but silvery over green? Yeah, that's a new leaf.

You pretty much still have to pot it properly. It will most likely lose that tiny leaf while it's regenerating roots. The tough part is if the leaf grows longer, you really should cut it off until you have a well rooted plant.

Keep going with it. I've been there, too, but you'll need to learn for yourself when you need to give up. The new growth and the firm caudex are both positive signs. The funky roots and the scales coming off are not. Good luck with this!
  10. Jreidsma

I couldnt find any sand or anything at the stores so I will just have to use the little bit of sand I have. I also have alot of fish tank rocks that I could use they should help with the drainage, they are all natural so it wouldnt hurt the plant. So I will replant it today because the weather was really bad and cold yesterday and today it is nice and sunny. (MI weather is weird). My mom now wants me to buy some seeds to this plant incase this one doesnt live but I might research it before I do that, and I have to try this one first. I really hope this saves it, I really like unusual plants like this.
  11. Jreidsma

Great timeing!

In great timeing menards got some sand. I went there and got a BIG bag of all porpose play sand, and a small jar of shultz "take root" hormouns. I cut the fronds and the roots off. I cut the fronds as close as I could get to the caudex, and cut the roots off as close to the caudex as was needed becuase there were roots coming out close to it and I had to cut all of the infected roots off. I them dipped the end of the caudex, where the roots were connected, into the rooting powder and then stuck it into the soil. The soil was about 50:50 sand and coconut fiber, which I have been useing for my aloes. I even took the time to plant my christmas cactus cutting into the same soil mixtture but in a different pot. I really hope this works I just feal bad about it getting like this. Thanks for everyones help and here are some pictures just to make sure it looks right.

Attached Files:

12. Nath

Nath Anthocerotophyta

Cycad

Cycads have been known to lose all of their fronds lay dormant for a year and then bounce back just when you have about given up, I have a large Cycad in that state now that otherwise looks healthy. One thing you should always try to avoid with Cycads is disturbing the roots. They hate it, even when pot bound don't try to chase them out as if you break a couple of the what can often be a fragile root system they can chuck a wobbly decide they will lose all their fronds and generally look miserable until they recover which can take a long time. Don't overwater either, when the topsoil has dried out to an inch or so deep then water always from the top add some Epsom salts every six weeks to give them all the food and nutrients they need and then wait with lots of patience. If you repot always try to give at least 2 times the width of the caudax of free space all the way around the pot even if pot bound the new roots will eventually find their way out and fill the new pot, remember they are excruciatingly slow growing so never give up on them.

Nath
  13. Jreidsma

Thanks for the info. One thing I cant figure out is how it got root rot so badly. I would only water it when it dryed out completely. Maby it had it at the store and just kept getting worse and worse or something. I think it should be ok now though I researched how to do this root rot treatment and I did it exactly like all of you said and that the internet sites said.
  14. Jreidsma

It might just be me but it seems like the little furry fronds are alittle bit bigger, but like I said it might just be me hopiing for it to grow. How would I be able to tell if it has roots? I dont know if picking it up would hurt it or not so I wont unless I know it wont hurt it. I also went to the zeeland library and requested a cycad book, but the only library that had one was the MSU (Michigan state university) collage library.... I got it anyways. I read through it and I found out alot about growing them, from seed, from cutting, and the "pups" that they grow. I really hope it grows and when I was cutting the roots off, I didnt really pay much attention to it at the time, but it hade a little "pup" coming out of, but it looked dead so I just thought it was a root and cut it off to. Mabey it will grow and make another one.
  15. Katalina

Katalina Marchantiophyta

Could be a casualty of a very unusual severe winter,

Simply tons of palms,, some fine in bad wnters before went down this winter. Its also been unpredictable regions where they went to mush.
  16. Jreidsma

Thanks for the info, but mines inside.
  17. Jreidsma

I lifted it up and theres no roots or anything, is it dead? Its not soft and doesnt stink very bad. Just like soil I think.
  18. John S

My Name:
    John
    Zone:
    7b (5 to 10F)
    Does it show any signs of growth? It doesn't have to get soft or smell in order to be dead. Do you have a current picture of it?
  19. Jreidsma

Here are some pictures. I dont think its dead, but at the same time I think it is dead. The furry young fronds grew for a while but the last couple weeks they just havent seemed like they did anything. Mabey if I wait a nother couple weeks and post more pictures we can see the differences.

Attached Files:

20. Jreidsma

Here is another pic

Attached Files: