Welcome to the Unusual Plants Community

Join Today!

How to Grow: Venus Fly Traps

Discussion in 'Carnivorous Plants' started by alexizhere23, Mar 25, 2010.

1. alexizhere23

alexizhere23 Charophyta

Hi,

today I'm gonna give a quick tutorial on Venus Fly Traps, or VFT's. I will cover the basics plus any tips that might be good to know.

First lets make this clear, you DO NOT need to feed flytraps and do not feed hamburger to them. second they dont need to be in a dome. I grow mine outside all year. in a 4 inch pot.

Hardiness zone 7, 6 with protection.

Soil:

Soil for vft is easy but must be done right. The best mix is clean pure peat moss and sand, I use premier peat from lowes n the 3 cu. ft bales and pool filter sand from Home Depot. Play sand is acceptable but needs to be washed first. Perlite can be used also without problems. The peat/sand ratio is 50/50. same for peat perlite. A 4 inch pots is optimal.

Water:

simplest way is to use distilled water. Also a reverse osmosis can be used. water every 1-2 days.

Sun:

Full sun is best

Purchasing VFT's:

VFT's bought at lowes or other big box stores should be repotted immediately.

Winter:

VFT's Are native to The green swamp in southeastern North Carolina which is zone 8. VFT's require a winter dormancy to rest and prepare for the next year. In zone 7 or higher, leave outside as is. In zone 6 a layer of pine needles is needed. In zone 5 or less winter in the refridgerator in a ziploc bag with all soil removed is the way most people go.

follows these steps and you can grow VFT's year after year.

look for my next post on How to Grow Sarracenia, aka pitcher plants.

alex
  2. laura13617

laura13617 Guest

thanks for the info. it is the one plant that my boyfriend does want me to get. i have a circular candy dish w/lid do u think that provide the humidity needed for them? i have never had one so ill have to do some more reading before just going and buyin one. great piece to get me started..thanks

where would u recommend the best place to buy one?
  3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady Bryophyta

Thanks for the information, Alex!

You are really knowledgeable about CP's and I sure appreciate this info. VFT's are one of my favorites, and now you are making me want to get one again.

I've been trying to sprout seeds but with no success. I wonder if you might know the trick in getting the seeds to pop?

: )
  4. alexizhere23

alexizhere23 Charophyta

i will do a post on seed germination also.
  5. Blake09

Blake09 Marchantiophyta

What causes the traps to go brown? I have about 2 traps doing this, Its just the traps doing this because the leaves are fine.
  6. alexizhere23

alexizhere23 Charophyta

Blake, a normal trap opens and close an average of five times before turning brown and dying. also sometime the bug it catches causes the leaves to rot.. as long as a majority of the leaves dont turn black or brown at once it probably is normal.
  7. The Hollyberry Lady

I also heard...

that playing with the traps and making them open and close will make them die off sooner.

Great information in this thread. Looking forward to more...

: )
  8. gros michel

gros michel Chlorophyta

Very cool Alex, thanks for posting. I never thought here in zone 6 I might be able to actually try some outdoors but will definitly do so this year. Looking forward to your next post on pitcher plants and want to try some of those this year as well. There is a native one here in the swamps in NJ but isn't quite as attractive as the tropicals. In any case I'm hoping to find one this summer and posts some pics when I do.
  9. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Venus fly trap

Hi Eveyone

I had a venus fly trap a long time ago. It cought a wasp which 'stung' the trap all over. It too went brown & perrished. It was not long after that when the whole plant died! Maybe because of the venom from the wasp?

Mike:confused:
  10. The Hollyberry Lady

That's hilarious about the wasp, Mike!

Not that the plant died though!

: (

So Alex...

Were you going to tell me how to sprout those VTF seeds before 2011?

[​IMG]
  11. Jreidsma

Jreidsma Super Moderator Staff Member

I just bought some seeds to them to. :)

Also do they flower like sundews and other CP's do?

Thanks
  12. kevind76

kevind76 Marchantiophyta

Yes, VFTs flower. Very nice white flowers. Not really like sundews or any other CP - they are all different. Some say that you shouldn't let VFTs flower, because it takes too much energy away from the plant , but I haven't found that to be the case. If the plant is healthy, let it flower.
  13. Jreidsma

k thanks.

I got my last years sundew to flower but it died :( dont know why though. It was in the middle of the growing season. Also my pitcher died but it was kinda old.

And I found out they grow EXTREMELY slow, I guess it gives me something to do and look forward to :). I planted all six seeds because how slow they grow. I was planning on only doing one but then I found out how long it took so I just planted all of 'em.

And with the winter overing thing, how long should I put them in there? I herd on the other post that 3 weeks would be good but that doesnt seem to long? On the box I bought it in it said 2 months but I just threw the box away as it had a bunch of false info on it.
  14. kevind76

kevind76 Marchantiophyta

15. Jreidsma

Thank that helped alot. :) I really hope mine turn out good.

The only bad thing is that here it would be way to hard to keep it outside on the porch in the winter and it would get killed. SO I have to go with the refrigerator methed.
  16. kevind76

kevind76 Marchantiophyta

Do you mean for growing it or just germinating it? I keep my plants in a cool basement for the winter. You can try the fridge method, as it does work, but it's not necessary. Yes, Michigan is too cold for VFTs, however, if you cover then really, really well, they can come through outside. A friend of mine in Manitoba has overwintered his in a bog using flax straw. I was really amazed they made it! A bit risky, though.
  17. Jreidsma

I know how to germinate them, so I was just asking a question about after they have grown alittle bit.

Right now I am germinating them :) Six seeds in two different egg shaped terrariums things.
  18. kevind76

kevind76 Marchantiophyta

okay - thanks for clarifying. They do seem a bit finicky sometimes for me, but I've had pretty good success with them. Michigan is not that different from Manitoba, and basically, you should bring them in before the first frost, and take them out after the last frost. Keep them in the fridge or a cool basement, or even beside a cool window, they should be able to get the required dormancy. Let us know how the seeds do. If you're interested, try joining this forum: http://ocps.proboards.com/index.cgi (I hope I can advertize another forum here.) It's Canadian, but there are members from around the world, and it is pretty good.
  19. Jreidsma

:D:D:D:D one sprouted!

I had them in my room for a while but they didnt do anything so I put them outside and forgot about them. But today I checked on the m to find one of the tiny black seeds with a little tiny root shooting out of it. SO I put it in the middle of the terrarium egg thing and put them back ibn my room. My room is alittle cooler than outside but they should still do good in here. Or should I put them outside?

They will be by my brightest window. That window is bright enough for my mini rose and mimosa pudica. SO they should love it to.
  20. alexizhere23

alexizhere23 Charophyta

Leave it outside, One is it needs the Air movement to prevent Fungus and it needs all the light it can get.

Also VFT's dont harden off well, Best bet is to monitor it closely and watch for problems.

You could creat an open mesh dome to cover it so that nothing knocks it over or damages it.