Welcome to the Unusual Plants Community

Join Today!

Grapes grown in a pot

Discussion in 'Vines and Groundcovers' started by Mike Anders, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Hi Everyone

I want to grow grapes in pots.

How big should the pot be in order to produce grapes on the vines? Or shall I make a big brick trough? I will grow them up & over an arbour so they will also make some shade during the hot months here in Thailand. :)

Anybody got ideas?????:confused:

Mike anders
  2. leaf

leaf Charophyta

My Name:
    leaf
    about growing grapes in pots... uh, i'm not sure. i've heard from people who do it and say it works ok. i've also heard that a depth of 4 ft is the minimum a grape vine will thrive in. i guess it all depends on what you want; my 2 grape vines completely covered the back of my house and were heading around the corner. they produced so much fruit that even our neighbors were sick of grapes. of course, the vines were about 25 yrs old and were in deep, light soil and full sun. it's a bummer that i had to move and leave them behind, actually. :(

if you keep your grapes in giant pots for the first couple yrs it should be fine, but i'd plant them out eventually. i've read that a depth of 4 ft. is the minimum requirement. here's a link you might find useful: http://www.my-grape-vine.com/blog/growing-grapes-in-shallow-soil/
  3. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Large brick troughs

Hi Leaf Kotasek

Thanks for that!

I think I can get them to grow in a trough. I will build 4 of them around the base of each concrete support when I build the arbour. Looking at the link you sent for me, it suggests that the roots can go sideways sometimes. If so, do you think that I should make them 600mm (2 foot) square & 460mm (18ins) deep? The bottom will be concrete. I could keep on applying fertiliser etc.

Do they need much water?

I have attached photos of my grapes grown from seeds. The newest ones are in the first photo. Also look at the young one (centre right in the photo) with the big leaves. It is overtaking all the others! I brought that here to Thailand from the UK!;)

Regards Mike Anders
  4. leaf

leaf Charophyta

My Name:
    leaf
    mike, i think your grapes would be fine for a year or two (maybe more??), but you'd need to put them in something bigger eventually. 18 in. deep is a long way from the recommended minimum soil depth of 4 ft.; i don't think you'd ever have a big-awesome canopy of leaves. personally, i would plant the grapes in the ground. if your soil is trash (solid clay, for example), i would dig it up to a minimum depth of 4 ft. and filled with good, well-draining soil. yep, it'd be expensive, but i bet the grapes'd love it! :)

yes, the roots will grow horizontally, but the deeper roots are the ones that are heavily involved in respiration. here's a link (from the same site as the last one!) that talks about the importance of oxygen in the soil.

as for watering, well, i'm a tad sketchy on that part... eek. . i think the key is well-draining soil; grapes HATE standing water. i might also depend on the variety you're growing. i'd just keep an eye on your vines; don't let them dry out, don't let them drown.

:cool:
  5. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Concrete area where prposed arbour will be

Hi Leaf Kotasec

Thanks for that!

I was hoping to make an arbour out over the concrete at the front of my house. I could I suppose, smash it up where the brick troughs will go. But it may weaken the supports. I will just have to make 'em deeper! One thing though; if the roots go down instead of sideways then I can make a round trough which dos'nt have to be so big now!
    The subsoil is composed of scalpings, which looks like iron ore with redish clay in it called 'laterite'. If I dig it out I could put something else, like you mentioned, back in there.:)
    The site was raised up with scalpings to stop flood water comming into the new house before building work started.

See photo of the concrete area:

Regards Mike Anders
  6. thanrose

thanrose Marchantiophyta

Mike, in Florida, we can't grow most grapes. There are wild grapes of course, but all the vineyards and home growers have to use muscadine grapes or crosses because of a bacteria that thrives in warm climate soils.

It's called Pierce's Disease, and it works by killing the vine with drought stress, but generally takes 4-5 years to do it. So about the time you'd be expecting some grape production, your carefully tended vines could die.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r302101211.html

Just thought you might want to be forewarned. It's really disheartening to lose a vine after you've tended it for years.
  7. leaf

leaf Charophyta

My Name:
    leaf
    eeeek...

i didn't know about the bacteria; that sucks! are there some varieties with resistance to it?
  8. thanrose

thanrose Marchantiophyta

Yeah, the muscadines and the wild grapes. Of course, some people think muscadine and wild grape are synonymous. People do grow Scuppernongs successfully, and wild grapes are prolific here as elsewhere.

Muscadines have a taste that is described as foxy. Muscadine wines can be kinda syrupy, but the southern US palate for wine tends toward that, anyhow. I like the taste of muscadines and of some of the truly wild grapes, but our wild grapes have really tough skins and are high in tannins. Means very puckery flavor, better for cooking or for juice.

The bacteria don't survive freezes apparently, so any temperate grower should have no problem, or at least be able to try again the next year.
  9. leaf

leaf Charophyta

My Name:
    leaf
    heh. oops... sorry, thanrose, i must've gapped while reading your post! :eek:
  10. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Dig deeper

Hi Everyone

If I want to build a container arround the concrete support posts I can dig it all out a lot deeper than is required. I can then set the post in concrete as deep as 4 foot! back filling can be a 'recommended' compost mix. Therefore avoiding the native subsoil. I want to plant 2 vines to each post eventually. I already have 5 young vines grown from seed.

A lot of work! but what do you think? I can get some help from unemployed locals here.:confused:

Mike Anders
  11. thanrose

thanrose Marchantiophyta

http://www.echonet.org/content/article/1361/VEGETABLES%20AND%20SMALL%20FRUITS%20IN%20THE%20TROPICS%20-%20PART%201.%20A%20-%20J

Mike, go to this page at ECHO and read what they say about grapes if you want fruit from them. I had a hard time cutting and pasting even the URL for some reason.

Essentially, they say very hard pruning is needed, but that grape production is possible twice a year in the tropics. They mention Thailand as tropical country that does grow some grapes, so that's a good sign for you.

Leaf, no problem! This is a conversation with people checking in and out who might miss parts at times. Cool thing about this forum, eh?
  12. thanrose

thanrose Marchantiophyta

Mike, I'm thinking you should be able to grow them in the containers you have planned, as long as you have good drainage, and strong laborers to help you get it started.
  13. Dalmatiansoap

Dalmatiansoap Chlorophyta

I seriously doubt it. In a fact I dont belive that U ll menage to grow grape vines there just becouse its too hot there and grapevines must have a rest period. Well maybe some ornamental cultivares doesnt but regular, just does so.
    But, there is only one way to find out!
    ;)
  14. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Thai grapes

Hi there

Some of the grapes I have grown from seed are native to Thailand, grown in Chang Mai. But I think it is just a little cooler there. They have a large harvest and make wine also there. I think they also get help from the government.
    Two other grapes I have, came from the UK. But I think South african stock from the seeds. I bought the grapes in Tesco supermarket. I was worried about a month ago because they did not grow much. All of them are thriving now because it is warmer at night, not less than 23 degC.

Put 'Grapes grown in Thailand' in Google search engine. You can read articals in there.

Regards Mike Anders
  15. leaf

leaf Charophyta

My Name:
    leaf
    i agree with thanrose and mike; shouldn't be a problem if you've got the right varieties.

...yep, thanrose, this is a rad forum. :D
  16. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Many thanks

Thank you all for helping me decide how to grow grapes here.

I will plough on with what we have come up with: Dig deeper!

Forum rules OK!! Many heads are better than one!

After all- Nothing ventured = nothing gained.

I hope you will want to see the progress I make (if any at all) doing it that way? Tropical testing?

Best regards Mike Anders
  17. thanrose

thanrose Marchantiophyta

Oh, yeah! Can't wait to see your progress, Mike!
  18. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

New baby

Hi everyone

I got another grape seeding which has geminated from seed sown 7 months ago!! It emerged from a small plastic icecream carton & I potted it on into a fibre pot. Then today I have bagged it into a sapling bag. It is now getting to the 4 leaf stage!

I have put it into full sun now for an hour or two. But will have to move if it gets too hot. Maybe it will get cooked!

Mike
  19. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Major transplant

[Hi Everyone

Today I have transplanted one of my grape vines from a pot to the garden.

It was in a 10" pot & the roots were well formed & filled the pot right up. I was able to take the vine out of it without disturbing the root system. After digging the hole out I put granular fertiliser in there. The vine seem OK so far & I have attached photos of the whole operation.

Mike
    1461[/ATTACH] View attachment 1462

Attached Files:

20. Mike Anders

Mike Anders Bryophyta

Hi Everyone

These grape vines have slowed down quite a bit during this cold season. I think one of them has died, I will have to wait & see if it will sprout up again! There is no new growth on any of them yet.

Mike A