Welcome to the Unusual Plants Community

Join Today!

Geranium seeds?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Flowers' started by Jreidsma, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Jreidsma

Jreidsma Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi I have had this pinto blush geranium for years and each timeit flowers it makes these little black seed looking things and I dicided to start collecting them. Does anyone know if these are inded geranium seeds? Also are geraniums self fertile? Because its the only one I have and I dont want to plant seeds that arent going to work anyways.
    Thanks

Also sorry there arent any pictures. I dont get how to use the picture loading thing so if anyone knows how to use it please let me know.
  2. Jreidsma

lol...
    I found out how to upload pictures so here you go.

Attached Files:

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady Bryophyta

No, those are not geranium seeds, unfortunately!

Here's how the seed pods on geraniums look. You can see the long green stem of the pod jutting out from the bloom...

[​IMG]

When you first see the green seed pod stems (and there can be many on one bloom), it takes about 3-4 weeks at this point for them to mature, and for the seeds inside the pods to be ready. Each pod contains roughly 4-8 seeds. They are usually light to dark brown, and oval shaped...

[​IMG]

Be sure to dry the seeds on a plate for a week at room temperature and then sow or store them accordingly.

[​IMG]

: )

P.S. The pods and the seeds will develop without pollination!!!
  4. Jreidsma

O ok thanks. I will watch out for them the next time it flowers which will be soon because its already making another stem for flowers. I havent ever seen thoughs on mine but I will still watch for them. O ya after the petals start falling off the flowers leave the rest of the flower there until it starts dieing right? So to dry geranium seeds just put them on a paper plate on let them dry? Do I have to do anything to them before I put them on the plate like rinse them off or anything?
  5. The Hollyberry Lady

More information...

When the seed pod turns brown, the seeds inside are ready to be collected...not while it is still green, like in the pic of my pink geranium bloom above.

You know how one geranium bloom consists of many tiny little flowers? As each of the tiny little flowers dies, you can remove them (mini stems and all), but leave the other fresh ones alone. When all, or most of the little flowers on a bloom dies, remove the entire stem right to the base...as this will encourage more blooms to develop.

Leaving old or dead blooms on a geranium plant makes it stop blooming. Always be sure to remove the whole stem when the bloom is entirely dead.

A paper or glass plate is fine...anything that will contain them for you while they're drying will suffice. No, do not rinse them...just dry them directly from the brown pods.

Hope this helps...

6. Jreidsma

K thanks. I am going to end up with 100 little baby geraniums... or I could trade them later. My mom always makes me cut the stem off before all the petals even fall off. I will tell her about this though and maby she will let me leave them on alittle longer. Nice geraniums by the way.
  7. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, definitely pass this on to your mom...

By picking off the dead petals, instead of the whole flower, it will enable her to enjoy the bloom longer, while still keeping it fresh and new looking.

One of my own indoor blooming geraniums this Winter...

[​IMG]

8. Jreidsma

Its sending out more flowers :). The flower stalk things grow like crazy! I never really noticed it but dang like an inch a couple days!
  9. The Hollyberry Lady

Great news...

Be sure to watch for the seedpods soon, as they can appear even on the very first bloom on the plant. Soon you will have tons of seeds!

Good luck.

10. Jreidsma

O ya this might be off topick but my plant makes the leaves but as soon as they die and fall off no more grow in that spot. Could there be something wrong with it? It only makes leaves the couple inches by the top.

I hope I can get enough seeds to get over populated lol. I want to grow some more inside and outside.
  11. The Hollyberry Lady

If your geranium plants are spindly...

You can trim them back and they'll get more full. This will also promote lower growth. Sometimes mine are the same and only produce leaves at the tops of the branches. Just cut them back but leave 2 or 3 nodes and new leaves and shoots will develop soon thereafter.

I will include some geranium seeds in your envelope I mail off by the end of the weekend. Might only be a few for now, but I will have tons more in a couple months when I send your cuttings.

They'll be fresh and will keep a few years in the fridge until you're ready to sow.

Hope this helps.